Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Blood Moon Rising

New in town and hungry to make my mark I’ve been quietly watching, waiting with the patience that immortality brings, stalking you across your hunting grounds as you nibble and nurture your favoured bleeds, ravish and ravage those who get in your way. Sure you go about things quietly and cleverly, covering your tracks with intelligence and grace but I know you, you are a big noise in this town, you call the shots, those who know of you are either in your thrall or in fear that their name will be the one to spill across your lips.

Why shouldn’t it be so, look at you, you move like a panther, lithe and untroubled by the trips and traps of mortal flesh, your face is so fair, what man would not stumble over his words in your presence, your eyes, flashing like my beloved northern lights, holding back the rage of centuries.

So, you have to be the one, if I am to make anything of myself in this place, it has to be you, Vampira, you and no other. Too many times I have had to flee this place or that, too young, too impetuous to know how to comport myself with dignity, making a mess of my kills or extending the hunt too far, the terror in my prey eliciting a beautiful fury more potent than any lust or passion.

So, how to announce my arrival to you? Take something beautiful, something you cherish, take that one thing and destroy it utterly? You need to know I have arrived, that I am here to make things hard for you where once they were easy.

You have a treasured feed, a mortal plaything, easy for you to set him up in that beautiful loft apartment, you probably smiled at the gothic overtones in which he decorated it, obviously eager to please his mistress. Poor Jack, did he really know what you were getting him into? Each night you dragged him to ecstasies that mortals should not know as you drained the life from him, he thought your blood drinking game just some baroque element of your dark love play, did he truly know what he was giving you, what you were taking from him?

The apartment was such an easy target, leaping softly from the neighbouring block I landed on the roof. Why would one secure their roof access when they are the only ones who can reach it? The doors shattered so sweetly, just one punch from my rock like fist, he stood inside, staring, open mouthed as the glass sprayed across the wooden floor to his feet. I am sorry to say that your beloved stood there in slack jawed disbelief, a fit young thing wasn’t he? I imagine you had directed him to spend his free time working out, 6’2? 6’3 maybe? A hard, taut body with beautifully defined muscles and drum tight skin, so delicious…

I strode towards him, easily, with a swagger, no hint of menace, how he stuttered and stammered, then steeled himself and threw a mighty paw toward my face, do you imagine he thought much of himself, brash and bold, revelling in the might of his physique? He was quick too, for a human of course, he moved easily on his feet and his blow came close to connecting, ha, close… but not close enough.

It was then he realised he was dead, my left hand brushed aside his blow as if it were a troublesome fly, my right snaked toward him with blinding menace, no fist, straight fingers, driving into his chest, a sickening crack, his sternum shattered by my force, my fingers closing around his heart, the terror in his pale blue eyes. Oumph! I withdraw my hand and there is this delicate sucking sound coming from his mouth "whuah, whuah, whuah" his last breaths, the snap of the cardiac muscles as I pull his life from him, such a beautiful thing, four pumps, eight chambers, seventy two beats per minute, so beautiful. Poor Jack, his little pumps were hammering at about 140, do you count the beats as I do? Do you delight in the speed that terror elicits? A tug, a twist and the apartment is sprayed crimson, I can see the fire in his eyes receding as I devour his beautiful organ, do you imagine he thought of you then, my love?

What shall I take from you next? You will know pain by my hand, pain and loss. I vanish into the night, this is your world, not mine, but there are places for me to vanish, dark crypts in disused cemeteries, the city morgue, playing at being a cadaver in their cold rooms, find me if you can, before I find you….

No comments:

Post a Comment